Letter to dad



Dear dad,

Yes, you work hard to give me the relative prosperity we have today compared to your times, yes, my life seems more comfortable in material terms, but I also face issues.

Please, try to understand.

Yes, you are right when you say, that today’s generation cares more about practical life than emotions and relations.  Yes you are right when you say today’s generation is confused.

We are confused because we witness the differences that exist between the values you taught us and the ways the world operates. We are confused because we live in times markets and sociopolitical situations are fast changing. We value our culture with the same zeal and passion that you do but we do not hesitate to make pragmatic decisions and welcome that change if it benefits us. 

Yes, I am always on phone or the Internet, Yes, I know its not always good. but dad, its the need of the hour. 

 The Internet has opened the doors to infinite knowledge. It has raised the bar for performance in academics as well as career. Social Media has changed the way we think and what we expect from the society. We grow up in an interconnected 21st century world focused on keeping the user excited and interested. That is something our education system does not do. 

While you fought every day to just make it to school or college or to make ends meet with that meager salary, I struggle to get to the top in schools and college and to find time for the family from that well paying job. While you struggled to brake out of that stagnant certainty in 1970s, I struggle to cope with the uncertainty of today’s world. While you struggled to share what little you had with your six brothers and sisters, I struggle with loneliness and depression.You fought to stay out of the sight of your parents as a mischievous kid. I fight to make most of the few hours family time I have when my parents come home from office.

My life seems more comfortable, but I also face  issues.

Please, dad,  try to understand

Yours Truly

J

Comments

  1. yeah, right... but values are to be followed to get satisfation... those values ultimately will pay you when today's world demands your life... believe me..
    And you are not alone in this struggle, your family and we friends are with you, although we all have issues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rajesh I agree to what you say sir, I never said we do not follow the values. my point is that we have to work harder than the past generation to hold on to them because we are influenced by globalization and see many alternatives, good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have expressed it in a better way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travelling in a bus

The battle over 300