R&R (rest and recuperation)


 I was very enthusiastic about rising fast in the small Goan media business. I worked entire September without even taking weekly offs, had one month of continuous all nighters for the first time in my life and the little problem of acidity I had then, developed into hyper acidity. This condition has ruined my social and gastronomic life. 

I have skipped a couple of birthday parties, a dinner invitation at hotel Delmon, cant eat oily and spicy food, cant stay online all night and worst of all,  my mom and our neighbors, the armature Ayurveda enthusiasts,  have reduced me into a genuine pig who is fed  all the  bitter, most horribly testing  herbs  on the planet.

Despite their best efforts, when I continued to throw up every ounce of food I consumed, I went to a homeopathy doctor who gave a long prescription of his sweet homeopathic tablets for a change. I had to compulsorily eat something and pop a pill every two hours. When things were a little better and I resumed my job, the condition deteriorated again. I figured I needed a quicker solution than the slow and steady homeopathy; I sought advice from a physician.

The physician stared at me with a look of concern on his face after he discovered that I had lost weight. He suggested I take an endoscopy test and referred me to a gastronomist. The gastronomist stuffed his long  endoscopy pipe down my throat and deduced that my small intestines had mild inflammation. He not only gave his own share of pills but also went out of his way to enlighten  me that the hyper acidity had been caused due to stress  and that I see a  psychologist to take some burden off my head. The psychologist, within a few sittings (costing Rs. 600 each) suggested I try Yoga to ease the stress and sent me to a Yoga…let’s call him a Yoa-logist who charges Rs 1300 per month.  

I had to pop several pills, eat as often as I could and drink lots of coconut water to neutralize the acidity. My grandmother who had come visiting one day thought that this might be because of the buri nazar of office colleagues.  Half the coconuts brought for my coconut water disappeared as grandmother bribed every god she could think of to secure my well being. Further on, she suggested that I donate a coconut and take five round of the Mahalaxmi temple at Bandiwade as she thought appeasing the goddess of wealth might help me ease work related stress.  The ordeal brought more weakness.

Meanwhile, an online friend of mine from Gujrath who had finally managed to become a doctor after several attempts, contacted me to inform of his upcoming Goa trip. I told him about my declining health. “Dude,” he said, “from what I read on your stupid blog, I think the whole problem is because of stress and disturbance in time table due to working nights. I guess   taking a vacation should resolve the problem.”

Awesome. I put the proposal before all my doctors who instantly agreed and wondered that after all their experience, how come none of them could think of this solution. Each of them then handed me a doctors certificate to take rest for one month.  Thanks to my infinite wisdom, the certificates bear different dates, making my rest period up to three months.

Guess I am finally getting good returns from the money I shelled on the docs :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to dad

Travelling in a bus

The battle over 300