Letter to My Future Self

Hello, New Me, this is Old Me (even though technically you are the older person.)

You are definitely wiser and more experienced than I am. You may wonder why I am writing to you from my time. I will put it this way: We have these epiphanies sometimes and we discover what being truly happy is, but they last for a short time before being forgotten and lost in our daily struggles. This letter is an attempt to preserve one such epiphany.

I believe you are currently surrounded by more people than I was but connect with very few of them. I started that phase of your life. I understood that material stuff brings limited happiness and people bring a little more happiness, but in reality, our happiness lies with us. Today, you will find people pressuring you into do things you do not wish. In that case, I remind you, strive for solitude and reflection.  That is what brought you the success you enjoy at the moment.

If you are at the moment feeling depressed and indifferent to pretty much everything around you, know that I, your Past Self had successfully recovered from similar feelings.  Don’t be dead from inside. If you are, remember the alternative life I envisioned under the Eternal Optimist. If you are living that life right now, congratulations; if not, reignite that dream. Stop looking for people to confide in and empty your mind to of worries. Start looking for people to build an empire.

I hope you do not struggle to survive the way I did. If you do, then reduce your spending right now. You need nothing more than three meals of dal-rice a day, enough cloths for a week or two, and a roof over your head. Dispose of all that is unwanted.

Last but not the least, you have become a cold and ruthless person fighting wars that I planned, and paying for the mistakes that I made. Do not let my mistakes make you feel guilty. They made you stronger. Stand up. You are a new person and you must fight new battles. But even as you go on to add to what I built, you must also add, , meaning and practice to the values that I inculcated.

Less is more

Consistency above hard work

Caution before celebration.

…………………………………………..
Yours Truly
The 2016 Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to dad

Travelling in a bus

The battle over 300