In Praise of the Uncomplicated

I never though i would say this, but light one-time read novels and slapstick movies are some of the best things life has to offer.

There was a time I used to value only high-quality literature like The White Tiger or Tinderbox but now, I am of the opinion that  cheap one-time reads which one can buy on railway stations or second-hand bookstores are absolutely essential. The same goes for movies. While films like Peepli Live do hold a unique place and act to change the society, a Dabangg is vital to keep us sane.

When I was a student and had ample time to process information and think about things, I loved to read and watch thought-provoking stuff. But now, I am white-collar worker and  find that anything that is pure entertainment and does not involve too much thinking is welcome. Reading a relatively uncomplicated novel and then coming up with ridiculous alternative plots is a fun thing to do. Most importantly when everything in your life isn't working according to plan, reading or watching something something light with a happy ending feels balming.

Secondly, watching poetic justice unfold on TV feels great when your life seems monotonous,uneventful, and at times unjust. I loved Three Idiots and Peepli Live, but if you ask me which film i would love to watch over and over again, it is Shivaji the Boss. Usually I am a Zero Dark Thirty kind of person, but after long hours in the office and the tiring bus journey, I somehow go for Princes Diaries or Kung Fu Panda~ goody-goody content with not much emotional drama.I cannot spare the time and energy to process something like Drishyam because of the mental exhaustion of the day's work, and only Shivaji has the power to heal it.

That said, I still don't read Chetan Bhagat or cheap erotic novels sold by pavement booksellers. That is taking it too far. Ashwin Sanghi's thrillers or Tarquin Hall's Vish Puri series are much better. These books protect one from getting high on one's own intelligence and overthinking. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to dad

Travelling in a bus

The battle over 300